Academy Alumni from VBHS
Brooke Jackson - Attended in 2017
About the Academy
The Academy reflects Missouri’s desire to strive for excellence in education at all levels. The program is based on the premise that Missouri’s gifted youth must be provided with special opportunities for learning and personal development in order for them to realize their full potential.
Nominate a Scholar
MSA will be undergoing some changes to the selection process for the upcoming academy.
Nominations for MSA 2019 will open on November 1st, 2018.
- Outstanding oral and/or written communication skills
- Critical and/or creative thinking
- Creative problem solving
- Strong decision-making skills
- Sensitivity to the needs or concerns of others
- Charismatic personality (others gravitate towards him or her)
- Courage to speak out for one’s beliefs
- Courage to challenge authority
- Participation in community service activities
About the Program
HOBY provides students, for whom most are selected by their schools, to participate in a unique leadership training, service-learning, and motivation-building experiences beginning a lifelong dedication to improving the lives of others. Due to the selfless efforts of volunteers and the contributions of generous donors, more than 10,000 students participate in HOBY programs annually.
Students should visit their counselors if they are interested in participating in HOBY. Only School Administrators/Counselors can select and register students to represent their high school.